We call this The Great Grey Owl — Ideal for 3 season cottages
The Grey Owl was designed to run all the loads in a small cottage just off of sunlight spring/summer/fall. Seriously, if you have a small cabin our system will never need a penny in gas or propane.
The Grey Owl supports multiple devices: energy star fridges up to 18cuft.; tv; internet; lights; etc. The Grey Owl also supports small power tools, dishwasher, a/c up to 5000btu, even an induction cook top if used wisely (not at max. say up to 800w. It’ll run at max, but you want the fridge to start).
Solar saves money
We have many families saving big by switching to an electric fridge from propane. Living off grid, I have saved over $3,000 on propane over the past 8 years. That’s 1/2 my system cost.
Add a BlackWING charger and use a small generator for 4 season use. Ask about load sharing with smaller generators.
You can also increase the battery pack size. Add solar panels. And increase the system capability. Our experience though? With the Grey Owl almost everyone has found they have more power than they can use. Two families that are 4 season folks have added an extra battery module or two and increased the size of their solar array. Late fall early winter in Ontario is tough.
If you do need a larger inverter we recommend you upgrade to the Schneider SW or Victron Quattro.
Design is for 20 years of operation essentially maintenance free. You do need to monitor and keep clean.
Sample system. Pre-assembled In stock now
- Victron Energy BlueSolar MPPT 150/35. Includes bluetooth. App. Latest firmware.
- Victron 1200 Now with bluetooth monitoring! A powerful toroidal inverter designed to live long and prosper.
- 4.25 kwh PowerWings battery!
Note these battery modules are plug and play compatible with our Yellow Bird harness and RedWing BMS. Expandable to 25kwh. Lithium offers amazing efficiency. Really changes off grid solar.
- 1 kw of Solar Panels (915w ish. 3 panels. Up to 6)
As of Jan 1, 2019: 60 Cell 305 monoPerc modules. 2019 high efficiency.
- Balance of system (BOS): Our systems come complete. All wiring. Fuses. Etc.
- battery switch; battery bus bar (dual) and terminal w/fuse (300a)
- solar combiner box with dc rated 20a circuit breakers (expandable)
- ALL relevant wiring pre-cut w/lugs etc. from: panels to combiner box; combiner to solar controller; Controller to battery switch; Switch to battery bus; Battery bus to battery; Battery to monitor; monitor to inverter. Anything I’ve forgotten.
- Custom cables cut to the length you need. RPVU! Underground burial rated.
- UPGRADED combiner, battery disconnects for 2019.
- support from Kelvin with assembly and operation oversight or buy it ready for install.